KOTA KINABALU: Food and beverage operators at the state capital here have continued to operate by switching to take-away services as the no dine-in policy came into effect in Sabah on Saturday (May 29).
The state government announced the new restriction covering all restaurants, restaurants in hotels, coffee shops and food courts on Friday (May 28) as daily Covid-19 cases in the state surged to over 300 new cases yesterday.
An observation of Lintas Square – a popular food spot here with several restaurants, coffee shops and bubble tea franchises – found that people still visited these premises to buy food and drinks to bring home.
The businesses also continue to handle orders from food delivery applications.
Meanwhile, a resort downtown also steadily switched to takeaways as they had been prepared since the pandemic began last year.
“We already have a take-away menu so we are better prepared. We will have more aggressive marketing for take-away during this period, ” said the resort’s communications personnel
On the nationwide lockdown beginning June 1, she said they will wait for proper standard operating procedures (SOP) from the state government to see if they can operate their rooms.
Meanwhile, a clothing business owner at a mall in neighbouring Penampang district, said the “traffic” inside the shopping complex has slowed down over the past few days.
“Since the state government previously announced only one-hour maximum mall visits from Tuesday (May 25), this is expected,” said Sandra Kong, saying she will also wait for the full SOPs to be released later.
Observations in some supermarkets so far also did not see a large number of people panic-buying to stock up.
However, some might decide to do their grocery shopping over the Kaamatan public holiday which falls on Sunday and Monday before the lockdown becomes effective on Tuesday.