Family feud leads to two fatalities, including 20-month-old baby


KUALA SELANGOR: A family feud over finances eventually led to a man allegedly murdering his one-year-old niece before dying several hours later.

The suspect in his 20s, who was believed to have been injured while struggling with his family members as they tried to subdue him, died while receiving medical treatment at the Tanjung Karang Hospital.

Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Arjunaidi Mohamed said the incident occurred at around 12.25pm on Sunday (July 4).

“Police were alerted to a fight at Kampung Parit Mahang in Jeram here.

“In the incident, a one-year-and-eight-month-old baby girl and her mother suffered slash wounds after being attacked by the suspect,” he said in a statement on Monday (July 5).

He said police arrived at the scene, took custody of the suspect and seized a parang.

“The suspect was believed to have suffered injuries while his family members attempted to subdue him and perform a citizen’s arrest.

“He was taken to the Kuala Selangor police headquarters for further investigations but at around 4pm he became weak.

“Our personnel called the hospital for assistance and the suspect was taken by ambulance to Tanjung Karang Hospital for treatment,” he said, adding that hospital personnel tried for 30 minutes to treat the suspect but he was pronounced dead at 6.37pm.

He said the suspect’s family members had been notified of the development.

“A post-mortem will be conducted as fast as possible after results of a Covid-19 screening come back.

“A police report has been lodged by the suspect’s family in order to find the cause of death,” he said, adding that Selangor CID has opened an investigation paper on the case.

Comm Arjunaidi said the investigation would be focussed on the aspect of standard operation procedure related to “duty of care” as well as criminal acts while managing the suspect.

It was reported on Sunday that a girl died after she succumbed to injuries sustained after she was allegedly slashed by her uncle in a village here.

Kuala Selangor OCPD Supt Ramli Kasa was quoted as saying investigations were ongoing.

Word of the incident went viral on Facebook with claims that the suspect was a drug addict.

Source link