KUCHING: The state government did the right thing by not following the federal government’s move to reopen the economy hence relaxing the movement control order (MCO) effective today.
“It is a good and wise decision by the Sarawak government.
“Why open up on May 4 and not wait for a few more days till May 12, as previously agreed and accepted?
“It is not that we disagree with Kuala Lumpur but that we have the lingering fear that opening up too early or too prematurely may likely create a second wave as what happened in Singapore, Canada and Hokaido,” said Kota Samarahan Municipal Council (MPKS) chairman Datuk Peter Minos.
Minos said there was a need to exercise a little patience and see how things were by May 12.
“Of course, economically we all suffer since March 18 when MCO was declared. Mentally and physically, we too have suffered. No doubt about this,” he said.
Also, the MCO has also brought about worries, anxiety and tension, even apprehension and uncertainties, he added.
However, he said everyone had to comply fully with the MCO for their own good and for the good of the state and country.
“So I say to Sarawak government that it has made a very wise decision. You make us feel safe and assured. You have exercised patience with wisdom,” added Minos.