This dish combines delicately flavoured squid with the soft caramel taste of thick soya sauce, lightened with the heat of ginger and fragrant garlic.
It makes a great meal with hot rice and some vegetables on the side. Best part yet? This super tasty dish is ready in mere minutes.
- 6-8 squid, cleaned (to be a bit fancy, stuff the head back into the body and stitch it up with a toothpick)
- 2.5 cm ginger, cut into strips
- 1/2 bulb of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- Pepper to taste
- A dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
• Marinate the squid with sugar, salt, dark soya sauce, soya sauce and pepper for 30 minutes.
• Heat cooking oil over high heat.
• Stir-fry ginger for 30 seconds, then add garlic and fry until fragrant.
• Lower the heat to medium and add the squid without the marinade.
• Stir-fry for five to six minutes, add the marinade and heat through.
• Serve hot with a garnish of parsley.
This recipe was first published here.
Trying to influence your cravings since 2005, Kar Yeong was Guest Judge on Versus 1001 Rasa Baba’s 2018, R.AGE Food Fight Judge 2015 and NTV7 Foodie Blogger 2014. To read more about Kar Yeong’s food journeys, visit his blog at KYspeaks.com.