Scotland ‘not going back to March’ lockdown, Sturgeon says | UK news
Additional coronavirus restrictions to be announced in Scotland on Wednesday will not amount to another lockdown, Nicola Sturgeon has said, moving to reassure the public that the country would not be “going back to March”.
Following intense speculation about the nature of the “short, sharp shock” – or “circuit-breaker” – restrictions to stem the rising infection rate, which ministers and public health officials have been floating for more than a week, Scotland’s first minister said explicitly they would not be shutting down the economy or closing schools.
Insisting she wanted to be as “open and frank as possible”, Sturgeon used her daily briefing to defuse public apprehension by setting out what her government was not proposing to do, 24 hours ahead of the announcement of further restrictions in the Holyrood chamber on Wednesday.
Last week, the national clinical director, Jason Leitch, suggested a circuit-breaker could push the course of the pandemic back by 28 days, causing parental and business anxiety about the possibility of school or hospitality closures.